o its residents and visiting tourists, Sacramento enthralls as more than the capital of California. Those who love the water can take advantage of the river that winds its way through downtown. Foodies celebrate America’s Farm-to-Fork capital by visiting restaurants with coveted high Zagat ratings. Art aficionados can enjoy more than 650 murals, several theaters, and performing arts groups like the Sacramento Opera and the Sacramento Ballet. Even the kids will spark their curiosity, visiting museums devoted to railroads, cars, aerospace, and science.
As with any other busy city, you want to get away and get in touch with nature. You can then make a fun-filled day of it by traveling from Sacramento to Sonoma Canopy Tours following the instructions below:
- Head east on I Street toward I-5 South.
- Stay in the left lane to enter the CA-99 South/I-5 South ramp. Merge with I-5 South.
- Keep in the right lane to take Exit 518, US-99/CA-99 South to San Francisco, and South Lake Tahoe.
- Stay right at the fork, so that you can follow the signs leading to I-80 West/San Francisco. Merge with I-80BUS West/US-50 West.
- Stay on the i_80 West and continue for over 48 miles.
- Go into the right lanes to take Exit 33B, CA-37 to Novato, and San Rafael.
- Continue on the CA-37 West for 15.5 miles.
- Turn right onto Lakeville Highway for over 11 miles.
- Turn right and merge with US-101 North. Continue for 15.5 miles.
- Leep to the second lane from the right to take Exit 488B /Sebastopol.
- Merge with the CA-12 West and continue for 3.0 miles.
- Turn right at Fulton Road and then turn left at Occidental Road.
- Turn right at Green Hill Road and left at Graton Road. Continue for 2.8 miles.
- Turn right on Bohemian Highway and continue for 2.3 miles.
Look for the Sonoma Canopy Tours sign on your left and then turn left into the parking lot.
You’ll be surrounded by a towering forest of redwoods. But don’t expect a lazy green idyll. Instead, you’ll be climbing an impressive spiral staircase until you’re about 25 stories above the ground. You’ll then be admiring the treetop canopy while crossing sky bridges before zipping through zip lines that are up to 1,500 feet long at speeds approaching 40 MPH. When you’re ready to descend, you can rappel 45 feet to the forest floor.
You can choose from two unique courses on tours that last two hours and a half. It’s an ideal activity for office bonding, organizational fun, or a children’s party. However, each participating kid must be at least 10 years old and weigh at least 70 pounds. First-timers are welcome and will receive instruction by our experienced tour guides.